Friday, July 08, 2005

It is very early in the morning and I am having trouble sleeping. It is appropriate, I suppose, that I've been at work preparing Edward Young's 18th century poetic meditations on suffering for republication. The poem begins thus:



Tired Nature’s sweet restorer, balmy Sleep!
He, like the world, his ready visit pays
Where Fortune smiles; the wretched he forsakes:
Swift on his downy pinion flies from woe,
And lights on lids unsullied with a tear.

From short (as usual) and disturb’d repose,
I wake: how happy they, who wake no more!
Yet that were vain, if dreams infest the grave.
I wake, emerging from a sea of dreams
Tumultuous; where my wreck’d desponding thought,
From wave to wave of fancied misery,
At random drove, her helm of reason lost.
Though now restored, ‘tis only change of pain:
(A bitter change!) severer for severe:
The day too short for my distress; and night,
Even in the zenith of her dark domain,
Is sunshine to the colour of my fate.


A sad day, the events of Thursday, reminding us that we live in a time of war. Perhaps that contributes to the difficulty in sleeping. And yet, God remains faithful, and he loves us, no matter how it might look at any given moment.

No comments: