Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Writing fiction and nonfiction are radically different pursuits. I do both and in fact on a weekly basis I have to write an 800 word essay for a small newspaper collumn up north. It is not that one form of writing is really harder than the other; both require work. But personally, I find fiction comes more naturally to me. Both forms of writing require research. Currently, I'm researching a historical novel and the research alone will probably take me, overall, a year's work. But there's just a difference in the mental process that is less natural for me.

And of course, there's the fact that writing a book seems never to end. I write the book. Then I rewrite. Over and over. I let my friend who reads all my stuff read it. Then I rewrite some more. Then I write a proposal, which consists of a summary of what I wrote and a chapter by chapter outline and the first two chapters. Then I rewrite that and my friend looks it over and I rewrite some more. Finally, it goes to the editor who, even if he or she likes it, will want "some changes" and so the whole process continues. I rewrite, I talk to my friend, I let my friend read what I've written, I change it some more: back and forth, rewrite after rewrite and finally back to the editor. Sometimes it feels like a book is never done. But, that's the nature of writing. Glamorous it isn't. It's just hard work. And most of the time, McDonalds pays better and the work is easier.

No comments: