Monday, January 17, 2005

When God revealed himself to the human race, he decided to do it by way of literature. I'm sure his thought was that we human beings enjoy stories, understand stories, understand how literature works, and so what could be an easier, more clear and simple way to communicate with us?

Unfortunately, most Christians in my experience seem to have forgotten everything they know about reading when they approach the Bible. They do things with it that they'd never imagine doing with anything else they read. Instead of reading it, they approach it like lawyers approach depositions. When I listened to Bill Clinton's deposition several years ago, my first thought was, "I've heard sermons like this." What is the meaning of "is?"

Ugh. God tells us stories and we turn into lawyers. He must just shake his head in wonder.

No comments: