Monday, March 28, 2005

I continue to read through Today's New International Version (TNIV) and continue to find that I like it. I have a hard time understanding the intense, emotional hatred some have toward this translation. Quite frankly, in looking at a few of the anti-TNIV websites, they often remind me of the KJV Only crackpots I've occasionally had the unfortunate experience of running up against. Most, if not all that I have seen so far, have limited knowledge or understanding of how to translate, translation theory, or anymore than a rudimentary understanding of Greek and Hebrew. The rest simply have an approach to translation that I don't agree with, as well as some different theological and philosophical presuppositions. As far as I can see thus far, the opposition seems to boil down to one thing generally, and that is the thought that the Bible really is mostly only for men, and women must be kept in their place. Oh well. I can't disagree any more strongly with them, then. Perhaps, given what those who oppose the TNIV argue, I guess I must actually be a liberal.

The Southern Baptist Convention at a recent convention, apparently issued a statement denouncing the TNIV. Oh well. I'm a Southern Baptist and often disagree with what the convention says. And what the convention says really doesn't matter, after all, since it is not binding, given the nature of being a Baptist. I thought the convention's call awhile back to boycott Disney was goofy, too, and I made a point after that to visit Disneyland often and bought quite a few Disney DVDs.

Personally, I think it is pretty clear that biblically both men and women can have teaching and leadership roles and that outside of the obvious biological differences, men and women can equally aspire to any role and activity, and both are equally created in the image of God. If that makes me a liberal, so be it.

No comments: